Friday, March 8, 2013

Alone...

Yeah, I'll admit.  I'm one of those Facebook poster/sharer types that likes to post inspirational messages on my status page.  For one, we ALL need a little inspiration now and then secondly, there's so much bullshit sensational drama and negativity out there that I might as well try to give the positive some air time.  I've been following the "Health is Wealth" Facebook page because they post a lot of inspirational messages about staying true to your goals and tapping into the inner strengths we tend to forget we have.  You should check them out when you have a chance.

For some reason this particular one really resonates with me.  I guess it's because for SO many years I've pursued my goals all by myself, with no training or study partners, no support groups, nothing.  Just me, God and whatever resolve I might have.  I guess actually I've never really been alone having the Big Guy by my side but in all outward appearances I've stood alone.  I know that's a very difficult thing for folks to do.  Perhaps my faith makes it easier for me.  But I also think being alone is something I prefer.  Hey I love encouragement and I really appreciate well wishes from friends and family but when I'm hunkered down trying to tackle the most recent obstacle that presents itself, it's better for me not to have "distractions".  To be honest this is just one of my personal issues.  When there are other people around me I have this feeling that I need to attend to them which takes away from my ability to focus on the task at hand.  Hey, I know we're all wired differently.  I guess that's just how I was made and unfortunately my warranty expired YEARS ago.

It's my belief that even if you have that big support group or that constant training/study partner, you're still performing on your own.  Your side kick isn't doing those pushups for you nor is he or she carrying you across all those miles you're running.  You're still doing those things on your own.  Just you, the little demon voices in your head telling you to stop and your own resolve.  Having someone by your side is nice but all they really represent is a distraction, a distraction from the misery that you're currently having to endure.  And for some that's not necessarily a bad thing.  Take parents for example.  They can be going through all kinds of issues, both physical or emotional, but when there is child present they put most of that pain aside in order to deal with the child.  When you're struggling through a workout it probably makes it a little easier for you knowing that someone else is suffering right along with you and that common bond is what can inspire and motivate you to continue.

So please don't get me wrong.  Having someone there with you to encourage you along the way is a good thing.  But what if they fail you?  What if they turn away?  Will you allow that to keep you from your goal?  Don't ever be afraid to stand alone.  Remember, being alone and being lonely are two different things.  You should feel good being alone.  Why the hell not?  You're a good person and wouldn't you want to be hanging out with good people even if it's just you?  I've said this before and I'm sure most of you have heard this elsewhere, if something is truly that important to you then you should be willing to do it on your own.  Might as well get comfortable with being alone because you'll be standing alone on that victory stand. 

Rock on!!

1 comment:

  1. Marianne Williamson once said something like "If I can't stand to be alone with myself on a Saturday night, how can I expect anyone else to?" I guess the underlying message is Love Yourself - Louise Hay would agree. Thanks for "being the change..... " :-)

    ReplyDelete