Monday, April 15, 2013

Boston


They say God only gives you what you can handle.  If ever there was a town tough enough to endure today's tragedy Boston is definitely strong enough to endure this.

Boston has always held a special place in my heart after first visiting there over 20 years ago.  It's historical significance goes without saying.  The foundation our great country was born in that town.  To me the city has so much strength, so much character.   I remember going to my first Red Sox game and being mesmerized by the "Green Monster"and spending more time watching and listening to the locals yell at their team then actually watching the game.  I've run marathons since 1992 and from day one the Boston Marathon was on my dream list of races.  It's with such a heavy heart that I try, like many of you, to make sense of today's horrible event that targeted a tremendous city.

Right now there is a lot of raw emotions embracing our country.  Another town has fallen victim to a senseless, violent attack against it's citizens.  But right now my prayers and energies are focused on the victims of this horrible crime.  Others far more qualified than me are busy trying determine the cause and culprits of this attack.  Emotions are driving our reactions and most are based on suspicions and hearsay rather than facts.  By overreacting to this event we only serve those who intentions it was to create destruction, chaos and death.  As difficult as it is we must try to channel our rage and anger into something that will best serve those who have suffered and those who must work to bring justice to it's citizens.  For some it may be too early to think of compassion when they are driven by rage.  But we must be find the strength to overcome that rage and think and pray with compassion and love for those that truly need it.

I never ran the Boston Marathon but I am a marathoner and today I consider myself a Bostonian.  I will stand with the people of that great city in my thoughts and prayers.  I say to everyone in Boston, you are not alone and all of us across this country and across the world hold you in our loving embrace.  You have always been a tough and resilient community.  Let the rest of us be tough for you today and the days to come as we all mourn your loss.


No comments:

Post a Comment