Sunday, April 14, 2013

Right sizing...

"Charity begins in the home."  Not sure who said that and I really don't feel like doing a Google deep dive to find out but that saying is something we should all strive to remember.  I suppose one might think it's a bit selfish to think you're going to take care of you before you take care of others.  I personally think it goes without saying that you can't be a good friend, a good husband, a good father or brother or anything else for that matter unless you've taken care of business with yourself.

If things are off balance with you mentally, emotionally, physically or spiritually, you won't be in a position to best serve those that truly need your help.  Trying to be supportive of others while you fail to support yourself is a near impossibility.  Tending to someone's spiritual growth is difficult when your own spiritual wellbeing is nearly dead.  Now this doesn't mean you need to be near perfect in every aspect of your life in order to help others but if you're truly struggling in particular parts of your life you need to fix yourself first before trying to fix others.  "Physician, heal thy self."

I need to be at my best or nearly at my best before I can help others.  Once I've gotten my house of cards in order then I'm ready to serve my family and in the way they need me most.  Once my family is taken care of then I can devote some of my time to my friendships and to my profession.  When things start to get out of order it may be time for me to "circle the wagons", putting the external parts of my life on hold and put my focus back on my family or perhaps all the way back on me.

Everyone knows their center, the very core of their existence.  It's where everything starts and it's at that very point where we need to feel right about ourself and right about who we are.  For me personally all things start with my relationship with God.  If that is in order then I can move on to being a good husband, father, friend, you name it.  I find myself wavering from time to time and for those who know me they understand there are times when I need to close ranks, right my ship, and get things in order so once again there's balance in my life and I can be all the things I need and want to be for others.

It's been one of those "right sizing" moments and it couldn't have come at a better time.  Some may wonder what happened or ask "where did he go?"  Well I'm still here right where I need and want to be.  For those that matter or care, you will still remain close.  It's all about putting things into perspective.  Taking that inventory of life and reminding oneself about what's truly important.  This has been one of those times.

.....and the adventure continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment