Wednesday, May 22, 2013

A Peace of Work...

I've got a question for you - have you ever prayed for your enemy?  Ok, so maybe you're not a praying person.  Well, have you ever extended compassionate thoughts towards those that make a career out of pissing you off?  Think about that for a moment while I sip my coffee......

Oh, you're back.  Well?  Hmm, just as I thought.  Ok, so maybe some of you have but I would venture a bet that most of you haven't.  It's a weird thing to extend a prayer or positive energy to those that seem hell bent on making our lives miserable.  And regardless of your spiritual upbringing, it's not instinctual to reach out to others when we've been hurt.  Normally when we've been wronged we typically turn inwards.  We tend to our wounds and either continue to wallow in our suffering or go on the offensive.

We all have similar cast of characters in our lives which usually includes at least one villain.  Perhaps it's that co-worker or boss that seems to snipe at you at every turn.  Maybe it's the friend or family member that always tries to one up you.  Or maybe it's just that customer service rep at a local store that makes you feel like total crap when you're trying to return something.  Regardless, these people need our prayers a lot more than they need our ire.  Yeah, I know.  That's a tough one to swallow.

For years when life was throwing fastballs at my head I use to pray to God to make my life right.  It was always about wanting Him to fix me, take care of me, make all things better for me.  Not once did I ever consider my adversary.  But I would say it was probably about 10 years ago or so that I was given some sage advice.  Instead of praying for my life to be better, I started praying for those that would cause me the most hurt.  I'll be honest those first few prayers were more along the lines of "Dear God, please help that guy pull his head out of his ass."  But when I really meditated on it my thoughts and prayers just focused on asking God to give that person peace.  Think about it.  That person is probably harboring some level of anger or resentment that may or may not have anything to do with you but unfortunately you're at ground zero of their bitterness.  But just asking God to bless them, to help them overcome whatever it is that's making them so miserable, does so much more than you think.

When someone is crying you'll naturally want to reach out and provide an assuring hug and comforting words but when someone's angry you probably want to seek cover.  Whether that person is crying or yelling they're still hurting inside and they need our compassion and understanding more than ever.  It's hard to think that way when someone is truly being mean towards you but what are your alternatives?  Being angry right back at them?  Giving in to the resentment and hate that is consuming them?  Remember, when they're lashing out and attacking any and all that's in their path, it really is a cry for help.  I know that sounds cliché but it's true and it takes a lot of courage on our part to rise above all that anger and be the strong person.  You may feel your efforts are in vain but I can guarantee you that somewhere down the road that person will have an epiphany and will think back on people like you and will be grateful that you stood in the face of their wrath and still extended a compassionate hand.

So just make a promise to yourself today.  Promise that the moment someone does something hurtful towards you, think first about them and what's hurting them that's causing them to act the way they do.  It won't be easy, believe me, but the road to recovery and reconciliation is seldom a smooth one.

No comments:

Post a Comment