Sunday, May 5, 2013

Full of it...


As the great Keith Jackson would say, "Whoa, Nellie!"  That was my response stepping out of bed this morning.    Every muscle reminding me I DIDN'T sit on my ass all day yesterday.  Far from it.  Actually I don't think I reclined at any time until in the early evening.  

Yesterday was a gorgeous Spring day in Colorado.  A far cry from the winter mornings we've been experiencing for the last several months.  We had a pretty full agenda but first things first.  After some snuggle time with mutts in the morning, we got up, consumed the required amounts of coffee, packed our cameras and made our way to south Boulder to hike along Mesa Trail.  A pristine morning, not too cool and not too warm.  Julie got some amazing shots of the local wildlife.  Sophie got to flop and twist in the few patches of snow that remained.  As for me, no great photos but I did have a wonderful time with my two of favorite ladies.  

On our way home from the hike we made a quick detour over to the spa shop to get some chemicals (damn kids and their lotions), and worked out a game plan for the yard work that was forthcoming.  After dropping of a sleepy Sophie we ventured over to Home Depot, the Mecca for all things homey.  Given this was one of the first good Spring days in Colorado we had to remind ourselves that the Depot would be crawling with the suburban zombies.  You know who I'm talking about.  The scores of people who have no idea what they're doing, what they need, how they got there or what zip code they live in.  They're also the very same folks that bring along their six screaming, meandering kids as well as their cujo dog.  By they way, who the HELL brings a dog to go shopping, especially at a home improvement store?  

Well this venture was all about the yard.  Rolling the dice that we'd no longer have snow in our immediate future we picked up several plants and flowers to help bring some color to our otherwise drab, sepia looking backyard.  Now you might be asking how I could be so sore from buying and planting a bunch of flowers and what not.  Well I'll tell ya.  We kinda got the wild idea to putting down mulch for the garden areas of our yard.  Now keep in mind we have HUGE garden areas.  Long story short, we ended up making TWO trips to HD in order to bring home some 30 bags of mulch.   Mother puss bucket!  Funny, during the first trip I had three different guys ask me if I needed help loading my SUV.  Of course I said  "no", male pride getting the better of me.  When I went back for the next haul of mulch my wife insisted I allow those young bucks to help me.  Of course this time around there was no one to be found so the task of loading another 18 bags of mulch rested squarely on my shoulders, hamstrings, lower back and quads.  

I will say the yard is definitely coming along.  The mulch really perked up the place, much more than I thought.  Although this morning I'm moving with grace of a newborn foal, I'm glad we did what we did yesterday.  Pretty gratifying day I might say.  Definitely one of our better Saturdays.  Got in a fun hike, ran a few errands and worked our butts off in the yard.  I suppose if I were a younger, stronger man I'd make my way back over to HD today to get more mulch (we still have several spots that didn't make the cut), but I think today is going to be all about resting and enjoying another gorgeous day.  

Ok kids, out of the spa!  It's adult swim time!  




No comments:

Post a Comment