Thursday, February 14, 2013

Days of love...

I'm not a hater of Valentine's Day, not by any stretch of the imagination.  I will say from my perspective it's kinda like that absent parent that only shows up once a year to shower their child with all kinds of lavish gifts and treats but throughout the year is mostly off the radar.  I suppose in their mind the extravagance of that one day makes up for the other 364 days where they missed out on all the wonderful little opportunities to share in someone's life.

I know not every one sees Valentine's Day that way.  I have several friends who have very special traditions they share with their spouse during this day of love and I really think it's sweet.  But we all know there are a lot of folks out there that use this day to "mail it in", as it were, making a semi-valiant attempt to let their significant other know how special and how loved they are even though they've spent the better part of the year failing to do anything more affectionate than to say, "So, ya wanna??"  So for them it's time for the grand gesture, the Broadway production, the big bang that says to your spouse and to the world, "I love you!"  Yep, for one, sweet, fleeting moment.

Maybe it's just a matter of taste.  Some folks like all the hoopla and the showmanship.  Personally I like the smaller yet more consistent gestures throughout the year that constantly validate and strengthen the love my Julie and I have for each other.  I don't want to be close to her just once a year but rather every day of the year.  It doesn't mean we're all sappy, lovey dovey towards each other all the time.  I think we'd end up driving each other nuts if that were the case.  But every day we do speak affectionately to each other.  Every night we kiss good night.  We run errands together and for each other.  We enjoy the same hobbies.  We do little surprises for each other like bringing coffee, picking up their favorite indulgence from the store or even a simple text message during the day saying "I love you." And the differences in our personalities are the things we reach for in each other in order to make us complete.  I love being in love with my wife all year long, not just on one particularly cold day in February. 

Happy Valentine's Day everyone.  And may the love you share today be shared each and every day of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment