Sunday, February 24, 2013

"Wilson!!"

Ok, I'm one of those people that truly believes that inanimate objects do in fact have a life of their own and they can be pretty hostile.  Hey, that coffee table DID nudge it's way into the path of my oncoming shin.  And how about all those damn spice bottles?  They all lay in wait, sitting patiently as I peruse the labels but at the moment I choose one bottle the ambush is sprung and a mountain of spice bottles comes crashing down on me.  The stories as well as the scars from these atrocities are many but it's a burden we must all endure as we live among the inanimates.

But there's a flip side to this horror.  A story of collaboration and harmony.  A partnership, if you will.  My racing bike was one such partner.  She carried me across 200 miles of the desert floor in Death Valley, a couple of Iron distance triathlons, several centuries, countless smaller triathlons and thousands of training miles all along the California coast.  It was a very sad day indeed when I finally had to say good bye to my beloved friend.  

Just the other day, I had to say goodbye to another friend I've been with for over 15 years.  Like my racing bike, my Timex Ironman watch had been with me through countless athletic journeys.  It tracked my pace, reminded me when to eat and drink, told me when to sprint and when to recover, it bore the bad news of a failed goal but other times shared in the glory of a personal best.  I wore it constantly.  Through thousands of laps in the pool, thousands of miles on the bike and thousands of miles pounding the pavement, he was always there.  He stood with me at the start of every race and triumphantly crossed every finish line.  Never once took a sick day.  Never once failed to keep time.  Never once had it's battery changed.  No matter what the weather or what the conditions, he was a steadfast companion. 

It was several years ago when the years and miles finally caught up with my old friend.  The wrist strap finally broke off and the repair shop had said they no longer carried that model and therefore had no spare parts.  But with as much dignity as a watch could muster, he gracefully entered into retirement, serving as my trusty alarm clock for his remaining years.  Again, never once failing me, he was true to the end.  It was the other morning while I was on travel that he beeped his final beep.  When I turned off the alarm his screen fluttered and then went blank.  He could've passed on during the night but instead stayed by my bed side until it was time for me to get up and then.... he was gone.  As part of this blog I wanted to show a picture of my friend and like a real trooper he was able to illuminate his face long enough for me to capture this picture.

He was the watch that all other watches were measured.  He had all the right features and was simple to use.  No other watch before or since has been so true and consistent.  It's kinda hard to say goodbye.  We'd been through so much together.  Saying goodbye to him is like saying goodbye to a part of myself.  Now before you go on making fun of me, keep in mind most of you guys have had that favorite power tool and many of you women have had that perfect blow dryer that today's appliances just don't quite measure up.  My friend will be truly missed.  Perhaps one day when I make my way back to Death Valley I'll take his remains with me, to experience one last time the glories of conquering life's challenges.

Farewell my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment