Friday, January 18, 2013

Exactly what I needed...

Wasn't a vacation day and definitely not a sick day. Nope, this was what we call a "mental health day". Going weeks filling up on heavy doses of stress, anxiety, dread, uncertainty, disappointment and anxiety (yes I said anxiety twice) will either put you in the express lane to depression town or sitting atop a clock tower with a high powered rifle. Well I'm not much into guns and vodka gets expensive when you're making Big Gulp cocktails so I usually look for other outlets. This time of year it's all about snow boarding. Now in the spirit of Lance Armstrong I'm coming clean about my boarding skills. Yes it's true, I'm not all that good. I know that comes as a huge shock to many of you but I couldn't keep living the lie. Yeah, I'm not all that fast and my turns aren't all that smooth and any air I might catch is almost never by design. But it is a fun sport and no matter how much I suck at it compared to others it's exhilarating and fun for me and does wonders to flush out my angst account. Everyone needs a release of some kind, something that you own and control. It's your domain and you're the master. It really doesn't matter what it is as long as its something that's rewarding, gratifying, energizing and most importantly, something that makes you feel good about you. There are plenty of things in life that will bring you down and make you question your self-worth. Find the thing that brings out the best in you. It's not being selfish, trust me. When your car runs out of gas you fill it up. Do the same for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment