Monday, January 21, 2013

Something to contribute...

Ok, I'll admit in my day job it's sometimes difficult to see where I'm making a difference.  Surrounded by a bunch of Sheldon Coopers, feeling very much like Penny's old BF Zack, doesn't really do much for the old self-esteem.  I apologize.  If you don't watch "Big Bang Theory" you won't get the references.  But anyway, hopefully you're picking up on the point that it's hard to feel like you're contributing to something when you kinda feel out of your element.  But fortunately there are times when I can tell that my little donations to the cause do help to some degree.  I suppose I could look elsewhere to find more folks like me but life, both professionally and personally, would be rather dull and predictable if all I knew were like-minded people.  Another reason I'm not into cloning myself. 

Being able to contribute to something means you're able to engage your creative juices in a way that you're helping to produce something of some value.  I think in many respects not feeling like a contributor means we assume we lack any creative opportunities.  I think there are a lot of folks out there that feel deep down inside that they lack any creativity and surrender themselves to the idea that their sole purpose in life is to make it to the end of the day without getting into any significant trouble.   "I can't do this" or "I can't build that" all add to this feeling that we are somehow insignificant, especially compared to others.  Forget what other folks are doing.  Each of us is on our own path and our path is filled with opportunities that are best suited for us and no one else.  Don't get distracted by what's happening elsewhere.  Stay focused on what you have right in front of you. 

You don't have to play a musical instrument, make wicked good cupcakes, be able to carry a tune, paint a portrait, take incredible photographs or author an awe inspiring blog.  You can be creative in an infinite number of ways.  Be creative in how you decide to approach each day.  Be creative in the thoughts you entertain.  Be creative in your behavior.  Be creative in the way you engage people in your life.  You may worry that no one will notice, that there's nothing tangible for you to show off.  On the contrary, what you create of yourself shines more brightly and clearly for others to see, more so than any portrait photo you take or delectable meal you could whip up.  What you create of yourself can be an inspiration to others and what's more gratifying than that?  There is something very special about you and it's just looking for a way to show itself off.  Don't let your surroundings inhibit your desire to create and express.  Let it out!  Your personal canvas is a magnificent landscape of unique beauty, character and experiences that needs to be shared. 

Be your own gallery!

No comments:

Post a Comment