Monday, January 28, 2013

Tough stuff...

I can't help but think our time on this great earth is intended to be a constant struggle.  Now before you start calling me Mr. Cranky Pants, which only my wife can call me that, hear me out.  In the big picture struggle is a good thing.  I know it's hard to feel that way when you're in the thick of things but when you come out on the other side of that altercation, regardless if you're bloodied and bruised, you will always discover a new and better you. 

Runners put in the miles.  Weight lifters pump iron.  Their struggles can be exhausting but the results of their hard work is the creation of a faster and stronger athlete.  Dealing with a difficult person, trying to figure a way out of a financial mess, struggling to overcome an insecurity, they're all examples of situations where we must struggle to overcome and the results, though not always to our liking, will always produce a better version of us. 

I think some folks shy away from struggles.  I guess most of us would prefer to choose the path of least resistance but only through our struggles can we build strength and confidence.  Our personal conflicts shape our character and leave us with a greater appreciation for the gifts we've earned.  You look at those who come from a place of privilege, where life is presented on a silver platter, it's those folks who fail to find meaning in their lives.  Like those lotto winners you hear about, who within a few years of hitting it big are now hitting rock bottom.  I certainly don't want to be beat up everyday but I do want opportunities to present themselves where I can challenge myself and hopefully find a better, stronger version of me on the other side. 

You don't have to crash head first into every challenge that presents itself.  Read Sun Tzu's "Art of War" to get a better understanding of how to do "battle" with those things that confront you every day.  Don't be afraid to jump into the fray and don't worry yourself with the "why's" of life.  Let God handle that.  Just step off and mix it up.  Yeah, these hardships we face from time to time suck but regardless of how those things turn out, it's better to put yourself into the game because they don't give varsity letters to those that sit on the bench.  I know this is coming off as tough talk but mind you I'm no hero by any stretch of the imagination.  I guess the thought of having to live with the fact I backed down from a challenge would hurt more than the bruises I might endure from life's scuffles. 

You're stronger than you know and it's ok to be afraid.  Don't think that makes you less of a person.  All it means is that you understand the gravity of your situation but you'd rather take the risk anyway.  And you know what that is?  Courage! 

No comments:

Post a Comment