Friday, January 11, 2013

Hater...

Hate has powered me through numerous challenges in life but nearly all were focused entirely on me. It's fueled me through marathons, triathlons, track meets, football games and several life changing events. But hate aimed at someone else is a dangerous proposition. I personally feel that hate is the one thing that rips the fabric of humanity apart. I know we all throw around the word "hate" the same way a kid wields his father's gun that he found in the night stand. "I really hate it when....", "I hate when she does...", "I hate those stupid...", or "I hate that guy!"

Hate is a powerful word and it drives us to think, feel and act in ways that only serve to hurt others and ourselves.  The sad part is most folks have no clue why they hate.  The superficial reasons such as appearance, behavior or beliefs may seem to be the catalyst of hate but the foundation of hate comes from our insecurities, immaturity, resentment, fears and personal suffering.  Hate is a means of lashing out at those things that have brought us down and have hurt us over the years.  But other than a means to help motivate me through my own doubts and insecurities, hate only serves to destroy.  To hate someone is to deny that person's worth.  Sure there are evil minded people out there but those folks will receive my pity long before they feel my scorn.

Lately there have been a number of opportunities for me to hate someone but I have to remind myself of the alternative.  Allowing yourself to hate is to willingly step into the abyss of eternal misery because those who do hate don't realize they've fallen into the abyss while those who refuse to hate realize they have avoided the abyss. It takes courage not to hate while any coward can be hateful. As I'm quick to say, life is all about choices. Choose where you want to stand in life. Choose to be courageous.

No comments:

Post a Comment